Tuesday, June 16, 2009

For the Love of Chocolate...

My life has been full of delicious cakes the last week and a half. Good homemade cake is a special kind of love so with that in mind let me share some of my favorite love with you.

In recent days the last to come to the cake love party was the Chocolate Mug Cake, it will be the first to arrive here.

You know the one that floats around the internet. Emptily promising to be "the most dangerous cake in the world" it's not. It is not very good at all. It is very flat tasting and way too eggy. Yesterday I decided that this situation must be remedied. Not just for myself (lest ye thing this was a selfish act) but for chocolate cake lovers everywhere.

Chocolate Mug Cake (revamped so it is actually good)

First of all I made it for 2 mugs. You can't really split an egg very well. Well you can but what do you do with the other half egg?

1/2 c butter melted
1/4 cup milk
1 egg
1/2 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c cocoa
1/2 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Soften the butter in small bowl get it goopy but not blazing hot. Stir in the milk, egg and vanilla and sugar. Dump the dry ingredients on top stir just till moistened add chocolate chips stir just a little more. Spray 2 mugs with Pam. Split the mix between the two mugs. Cook 4 minutes on high in a 1000 watt microwave if you cook both at the same time. If you cook them separately cook them for 3 minutes each.

For me only dirtying one cereal size bowl one spoon and two mugs and 1/4 measuring cup and 1/4 tsp measuring spoon, is part of the magic.

I have a special love for chocolate. For my birthday in first grade all I ask for was chocolate. This is really truly true. To additionally illustrate, in the early grades in school we would occasionally get those mini chocolate bars for Valentine's Day and such. I would trade anything for a Hersey's Special Dark.

This has not always been so. When I was three I remember eating too much of it on Halloween. I got sick and threw up all my candy. Chocolate held no appeal for me for a long while after that.

This changed two years later, give or take a little, on a day that involved fireworks in the summer time. There outside in front of someone's house with my mom and dad someone gave me a Hershey's bar. It was dark I could not see, because of this my brain could not connect this with my previous experience. This wondrous delight I held in my hand kindled anew my love affair. There were even fireworks, real fireworks.

I have come to love all kinds of chocolate since then smooth, rich, dark and bitter or milky sweet. I so love chocolate and good cake is a wonderful vehicle for it.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Dovie- are you from Lake Oswego Oregon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately no. I do love to hear of other Dovie's out there. There is a bond in the name I think. If you find her in the blog world point the way.

    ReplyDelete